WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – Many people want to donate money or goods when tragedy strikes like the tornado disaster in Oklahoma.
Vicki Labelle from the Cape Fear Chapter of the American Red Cross say they've received dozens of phone calls from people who want to donate to the cause.
"There has been a great loss of life," said Labelle. "There is a great need to support those affected in Oklahoma."
Right now, personal items such as food, clothing, and shoes are not being accepted.
"It takes time, resources, and money to sort and match those items with folks in need," said Labelle. "The best thing to do is to make a financial contribution."
But there's no way to be certain that your money is going to the right place.
The American Red Cross only gives 91% of every dollar collected to victims. They keep the other 9 percent for administration fees.